If you're stuck for dinner ideas tonight then this one is just for you. Its simple but packed with sooooo much flavour! Traditionally, gyros are served with sliced tomatoes and red onion and dollops of tzatziki. This is a delicious combination, and what our recipe below stays true to. Alternatively, you could mix it up with ingredients such as grilled capsicum or eggplant, or even a vinegary slaw.
8 chicken thigh fillets
3 fat cloves of garlic, crushed with a little salt
Zest and juice of 2 lemons
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tub of Tzatziki Dip
I red onion, thinly sliced
2 ripe tomatoes, sliced
Pita or flatbread
1) Combine the chicken with the garlic, all the zest and half the lemon juice, oregano, a glug of olive oil and a teaspoon of salt.
2) Set aside for at least half an hour, though the longer the better. (see tips below)
3) Heat up the barbecue or put a griddle pan on medium high heat.
4) When nice and hot, place the marinated chicken and press into the grill bars.
5) Leave for around 5 minutes, though it depends on the plumpness of your thighs
6) Turn, press down again, and leave for around 7 to 8 minutes. When done, put aside somewhere warm.
7) While the chicken rests, warm the pita bread. You can use the microwave for this, or you can maximise flavour and use the grills the chicken was cooked on. Just a minute or two either side will do.
8) When ready to serve, slice the chicken into strips about a centimetre wide and drizzle with the rest of the lemon juice.
9) Arrange the tomato and onion slices on a plate.
10) Leave the pita bread under some foil to stay warm.
Serve - Take a pita bread, lay some chicken down, top with tomato and onion, dollop on some delicious tzatziki, and sprinkle with dill. Enjoy!!
1) Think ahead - make a little extra for the next few days.
2) Marinate - overnight is best, several hours is good, half an hour is your minimum.