Enjoy the spicy, rich flavours of Tikka Masala with this family-friendly lighter version that's both healthy and gluten-free; making it a perfect weeknight meal- and better than any take-out! It's a guaranteed to be a crowd-pleaser.
Prep: 10 mins / Cook: 55 mins / Serves 4
• 1 large onion, chopped
• 4 large garlic cloves
• thumb-sized piece of ginger
• 2 tbsp rapeseed oil
• 4 small skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
• 2 tbsp tikka spice powder
• 1 tsp cayenne pepper
• 400g can chopped tomatoes
• 40g ground almonds
• 200g spinach
• 3 tbsp fat-free natural yogurt
• 1/2 small bunch of coriander, chopped
• brown basmati rice, to serve
1. Put the onion, garlic and ginger in a food processor and whizz to a smooth paste.
2. Heat 1 tbsp of the oil in a flameproof casserole dish over a medium heat.
3. Add the onion mixture and fry for 15 mins. Tip into a bowl and wipe out the pan.
4. Add the remaining oil and the chicken and fry for 5-7 mins, or until lightly brown.
5. Stir in the tikka spice and cayenne and fry for a further minute.
6. Tip the onion mixture back into the pan, along with the tomatoes and 1 can full of water.
7. Bring to the boil, then reduce to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 15 mins.
8. Stir in the almonds and spinach and cook for a further 10 mins.
9. Season, then stir though the yogurt and coriander. Serve with brown rice.